Monday, May 21, 2012

fresh flowers, positive thoughts, and pretty fabrics.


with this semester finished, and summer time here, i finally have some time to sit down and write about mothers day i spent with my mom up in berkeley, ca. it was an afternoon of "delicious food and conversation" with Kelly Rae Roberts and Andrea Scher at teahouse art studio. there were twenty other creative ladies there, who were ready to speak what was on their mind, and to just be real. listening to these women speak was like having a real life blog right in front of me. i read about peoples thoughts on love, on life, and being creative all the time, and i loved hearing this being spoken of right in front of me. we were greeted with warm hugs, fun personalized name tags (i was the beautiful tessa) and notes & surrounded by teahouse art studio's loveliness of fresh flowers, positive thoughts, and pretty fabrics.

we started off going around the table one by one introducing ourselves, telling what brought us there, and what brings us most alive. no question, being creative is what makes me happy. doodling, painting, creating. we talked about transitions, being vulnerable, belonging to tribes, and our superpowers. what is a superpower you ask?! its what you are good at. i knew right away what this was for me. it's something i've been good at since i was younger. something i learned from my mom & something that was just part of who i am. my superpower is standing up for myself. i've always been real to myself since i can remember. i wore eye patches in elementary, and rocked the unicorn and butterfly designs. i had hot pink dickies, lots of toe socks, a lisp, crazy hairy arms and i can only remember one time someone made fun of me (and they even apologized when they signed my third grade year book, lol!). i have a lot of instances where i chose not to go somewhere or do something because i knew it wasn't right. i am proud of this superpower. we decided we can also cultivate superpowers that we don't have but wish we did. i'd like to be more outgoing, and more of a go-getter/do-er. we ended our day with an all for one chant outside under the sunny sky. bliss.

It was so fun to have my mom all to myself for four whole days. she is seriously everything i want be when i grow up. she is smart, funny, passionate, loving, happy, strong, pretty, and just wonderful. some of the ladies told me they hope their daughters turn out to be like me. what a compliment. i know the reason i am the way i am today is because of the crazy love and friendship my mom has always given me. sometimes i get nervous about having babies, because babies grow up to be toddlers, and toddlers grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. and i just hope i can be just as good of a mom as my mom was to me and my brothers.  that seems like an impossible task. good thing they will have her as a grandma!!!

so here's to being our authentic selves. to being creative and always doing what we love.
love, "the beautiful tessa"

p.s. picture overload!


 moms new business card: winged heart soul art...live in gratitude.











red flowers in my goody bag. favorite!








 what do you want in life?!





c/o liv lane!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Tessa! I love your pictures and your spirit most of all. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, the term "still waters run deep" sure does apply here! What a deep, quiet well of inspiration you are, young lady! Love your point of view and LOVE your photography! You are a wise old soul all wrapped up as a beautiful, young woman. Thanks for this!

    ~ The "Open-Hearted" Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. proud to call you daughter! more love than all the world!!!

    ReplyDelete